Thursday, March 20, 2008

No real reason

The only thing that I know for sure, is that I in fact know nothing.

Please continue to pray for my brother. It would seem that things got worse last night. No real news to report, I will let you know what has happened when I find out more.

I was listening to a podcast by Francis Chan this morning and he was talking a little about the ineffectiveness of the church. I had for a long time wondered why it was that I was so ineffective as a Christian, and he really brought it out into light. I find these things hard to relate to in my life, for I feel like my life lately has started to spin, but I know that when the time comes that I land, that I will desire to land somewhere around here. He said, that the reason that Christians are so ineffective is not because they are too radical that is scars people, but that they are not living the things that they are saying. If I really believe that the God I serve is so great, why do I flippantly come before Him? If I really believe that the God I serve is so great, why don't I actually serve Him? If I really believe that there is a such thing as Heaven and Hell, why don't I shout it from the roof tops, or at least warn people? If I really believe that God is able to change lives, why does it seem I am not different than the person that I was before God? If I really believe all the things that God has said in His Word, why do I not follow it? The list goes on and on and on...

His point, and mine I guess, is not that I am ineffective because I stand out, but that I claim to follow something that makes me different from most of the world, and yet I look and act like everyone else. Maybe the reason that we as Christians are so ineffective is because the world can not tell us apart from itself.

I hope to never get to the point where I blend in.

1 comment:

Dain said...

Amen Kim. This is always a point of problem for Christians. Trying to fit in and yet trying to be different so that we can be effective for Christ. I think a lot of us don't really have a solid identity in Christ and so our natural desire is to find another, more comfortable identity in the world that we live in because it is so familiar to us. But that is the exact opposite of what we are to do. We follow the world's definitions of success, pleasure, good, bad, etc so much so that we no longer hold God's definitions dear to our hearts. We store them somewhere in the back of our minds and then wonder why we can't ache for what God aches for or long for what God longs for.
I think I find this in myself too often =/